1School of Chemical Engineering, Iran University of Science and Technology
2Green Research Center (GRC) & School of Chemical Engineering (SChE)
Iran University of Science & Technology
Palladium nanoparticles supported on multi-walled carbon nanotubes (Pd/MWCNTs) have been synthesized using a modified polyol reduction method and its performance in methanol oxidation reactions has evaluated. The morphology of palladium on MWCNTs was characterized by scanning electron microscopy (SEM) and transmission electron microscopy (TEM). The catalytic performance of synthesized catalyst was examined for methanol oxidation in a N2- saturated solution of 1 M KOH and 1 M CH3OH. Cyclic voltammetry (CV) analysis demonstrate that the Pd/MWCNTs catalyst exhibits lower catalytic activity compared to the commercial Pt/C, but because of its relatively low-cost, the as prepared Pd/MWCNTs might be economically viable alternative for methanol oxidation. The chronoamperometry technique is an effective method to evaluate the electrocatalytic activity and stability of the alcohol oxidation reaction. The chronoamperometry results showed that Pd supported on MWCNT has a better long-term stability in comparison to Pt/C that is related to good dispersion of Pd nanoparticles on the surface of support.
1. Xu, X., et al., Methanol electrocatalytic oxidation on Pt nanoparticles on nitrogen doped graphene prepared by the hydrothermal reaction of graphene oxide with urea. Electrochimica Acta, 2013. 112: p. 587-595.
2. Cheng, Y. and S.P. Jiang, Highly effective and CO-tolerant PtRu electrocatalysts supported on poly (ethyleneimine) functionalized carbon nanotubes for direct methanol fuel cells. Electrochimica Acta, 2013. 99: p. 124-132.
3. Li, L., et al., A green method to prepare Pd–Ag nanoparticles supported on reduced graphene oxide and their electrochemical catalysis of methanol and ethanol oxidation. Journal of Power Sources, 2014. 263: p. 13-21.
4. An, H., et al., Synthesis and performance of palladium-based catalysts for methanol and ethanol oxidation in alkaline fuel cells. Electrochimica Acta, 2013. 102: p. 79-87.
5. Guo, D.-J. and J.-M. You, Highly catalytic activity of Pt electrocatalyst supported on sulphated SnO 2/multi-walled carbon nanotube composites for methanol electro-oxidation. Journal of Power Sources, 2012. 198: p. 127-131.
6. Park, S.-H., et al., Rapid synthesis of Pt-based alloy/carbon nanotube catalysts for a direct methanol fuel cell using flash light irradiation. international journal of hydrogen energy, 2012. 37(17): p. 12597-12604.
7. Liang, Q., et al., Preparation and charaterization of Pt/functionalized graphene and its electrocatalysis for methanol oxidation. Electrochimica Acta, 2013. 111: p. 275-283.
8. Qi, Z., et al., Novel nanocrystalline PdNi alloy catalyst for methanol and ethanol electro-oxidation in alkaline media. Journal of Power Sources, 2011. 196(14): p. 5823-5828.
9. Ren, Y., S. Zhang, and H. Li, Electro-oxidation of methanol on SnO 2-promoted Pd/MWCNTs catalysts in alkaline solution. International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, 2014. 39(1): p. 288-296.
10. Awasthi, R. and R. Singh, Optimization of the Pd–Sn–GNS nanocomposite for enhanced electrooxidation of methanol. International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, 2012. 37(3): p. 2103-2110.
11. Safavi, A., H. Kazemi, and S. Kazemi, In situ electrodeposition of graphene/nano-palladium on carbon cloth for electrooxidation of methanol in alkaline media. Journal of Power Sources, 2014. 256: p. 354-360.
12. Yi, Q., et al., Palladium–nickel nanoparticles loaded on multi-walled carbon nanotubes modified with β-cyclodextrin for electrooxidation of alcohols. Fuel, 2013. 111: p. 88-95.
13. Wang, Y., et al., Synthesis and electrocatalytic alcohol oxidation performance of Pd–Co bimetallic nanoparticles supported on graphene. International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, 2014. 39(3): p. 1325-1335.
14. Lu, J., et al., Synthesis of boron and nitrogen doped graphene supporting PtRu nanoparticles as catalysts for methanol electrooxidation. Applied Surface Science, 2014. 317: p. 284-293.
15. Li, N., et al., Ethanol oxidation on Pd/C enhanced by MgO in alkaline medium. international journal of hydrogen energy, 2014. 39(28): p. 16015-16019.
16. Xiong, B., et al., The use of nitrogen-doped graphene supporting Pt nanoparticles as a catalyst for methanol electrocatalytic oxidation. Carbon, 2013. 52: p. 181-192.
17. Vinayan, B., K. Sethupathi, and S. Ramaprabhu, Facile synthesis of triangular shaped palladium nanoparticles decorated nitrogen doped graphene and their catalytic study for renewable energy applications. international journal of hydrogen energy, 2013. 38(5): p. 2240-2250.
18. Kadirgan, F., S. Beyhan, and T. Atilan, Preparation and characterization of nano-sized Pt–Pd/C catalysts and comparison of their electro-activity toward methanol and ethanol oxidation. International journal of hydrogen energy, 2009. 34(10): p. 4312-4320.
19. Ekrami-Kakhki, M.-S., M. Khorasani-Motlagh, and M. Noroozifar, Platinum nanoparticles self-assembled onto chitosan membrane as anode for direct methanol fuel cell. Journal of Applied Electrochemistry, 2011. 41(5): p. 527-534.
20. Liang, Z., et al., Mechanism study of the ethanol oxidation reaction on palladium in alkaline media. Electrochimica Acta, 2009. 54(8): p. 2203-2208.
21. Liang, R., et al., Palladium Nanoparticles Loaded on Carbon Modified TiO2 Nanobelts for Enhanced Methanol Electrooxidation. Nano-Micro Letters, 2013. 5(3): p. 202-212.
22. Alvarez, G., et al., Preparation and characterisation of carbon-supported palladium nanoparticles for oxygen reduction in low temperature PEM fuel cells. Journal of Applied Electrochemistry, 2011. 41(8): p. 925-937.
23. Hsieh, C.-T. and J.-Y. Lin, Fabrication of bimetallic Pt–M (M= Fe, Co, and Ni) nanoparticle/carbon nanotube electrocatalysts for direct methanol fuel cells. Journal of Power Sources, 2009. 188(2): p. 347-352.
24. Yu, E.H., U. Krewer, and K. Scott, Principles and materials aspects of direct alkaline alcohol fuel cells. Energies, 2010. 3(8): p. 1499-1528.
25. Shi, G., et al., Mixed ionic liquids/graphene-supported platinum nanoparticles as an electrocatalyst for methanol oxidation. Electrochimica Acta, 2014. 142: p. 167-172.
26. Jukk, K., et al., Electroreduction of oxygen on palladium nanoparticles supported on nitrogen-doped graphene nanosheets. Electrochimica Acta, 2014. 137: p. 206-212.
27. Antolini, E., Graphene as a new carbon support for low-temperature fuel cell catalysts. Applied Catalysis B: Environmental, 2012. 123: p. 52-68.
28. Amin, R., et al., Electrocatalytic activity of nanostructured Ni and Pd–Ni on Vulcan XC-72R carbon black for methanol oxidation in alkaline medium. International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, 2014. 39(5): p. 2026-2041.
29. Morales-Acosta, D., et al., PdCo supported on multiwalled carbon nanotubes as an anode catalyst in a microfluidic formic acid fuel cell. Journal of Power Sources, 2011. 196(22): p. 9270-9275.
30. He, Y.-B., et al., Pt nanorods aggregates with enhanced electrocatalytic activity toward methanol oxidation. The Journal of Physical Chemistry C, 2010. 114(45): p. 19175-19181.
31. Xu, X., et al., Single-step synthesis of PtRu/N-doped graphene for methanol electrocatalytic oxidation. Electrochimica Acta, 2014. 120: p. 439-451.