1Department of Chemistry, School of basic sciences, Yasouj University, Yasouj, Iran
2Hydrogen and Fuel Cell Research Laboratory, Department of chemistry, Yasouj University, Yasouj, Iran
Reduced graphene oxide film was synthesized on a glassy carbon electrode by electro reduction of graphene oxide powders in aqueous solution. Then platinum nano particles were deposited on reduced graphene oxide film that was deposited on the glassy carbon electrode via electro reduction of platinum salt. The Physical morphology of the platinum on reduced graphene oxide film was evaluated by scanning electron microscopy (SEM) and energy dispersive X-ray analysis (EDX). The results showed that, Platinum particles were deposited on reduced graphene oxide film. The performance of Pt on reduced graphene oxide for oxygen reduction reaction was considered with linear sweep voltammetry and electrochemical impedance spectroscopy of catalyst in an acidic solution via three electrode configuration cell. The results showed the proper performance of this green synthesized catalyst for oxygen reduction reaction. so this method for catalyst fabrication is a good candidate for the cathode of proton exchange membrane fuel cells.
1. Zhu H., Luo M., Zhang S., Wei L., Wang F., Wang Z., Wei Y. and Han K., “Combined method to prepare core-shell structured catalyst for proton exchange membrane fuel cells’, Int. J. Hydrogen Energy., 2013, 38: 3323.
2. Mehta V. and Cooper S.J., “Review and analysis of PEM fuel cell design and manufacturing”, J Power Sources., 2003, 114: 32.
3. Cheng C.H., Malek K, Sui P.C. and Djilali N., “Effect of Pt nano-particle size on the microstructure of PEM fuel cell catalyst layers: Insights from molecular dynamics simulations”, Electrochim. Acta., 2010, 55: 1588.
4. Termpornvithit C., N. Chewasatn N. and Hunsom M., “Stability of Pt-Co/C and Pt-Pd/C based oxygen reduction reaction electrocatalysts prepared at a low temperature by a combined impregnation and seeding process in PEM fuel cells”, J Appl Electrochem., 2012,42: 69.
5. Oezaslan M., Hasche F. and Strasser P, “Oxygen electroreduction on PtCo3, PtCo and Pt3Co alloy nanoparticles for alkaline and acidic PEM fuel cells”, J Electrochem Soc., 2012, 159 (B): 394.
6. Ye W., Zhang X., Chen Y., Du Y., Zhou F. and Wang C., “Pulsed Electrodeposition of Reduced Graphene Oxide on Glass Carbon Electrode as an Effective Support of Electrodeposited Pt Microspherical Particles: Nucleation Studies and the Application for Methanol Electro-Oxidation”, J. Electrochem. Sci., 2013, 8: 2122.
7. Jafarian M., Gobal F., Mahjani M.G. and Hosseini Aliabadi M., “Multistep Reduction of Oxygen on Polycrystalline Silver in Alkaline Solution”, Chin. J. Catalysis., 2010, 31: 541.
8. Hilder M., Winther-Jensen B., Li D., Forsyth M. and MacFarlane D.R., “Direct electro-deposition of graphene from aqueous suspensions”, Phys. Chem. Chem. Phys., 2011, 13: 9187.
9. Liu C., Wang K., Luo S., Tang Y. and Chen L., “Direct Electrodeposition of Graphene Enabling the One-Step Synthesis of Graphene–Metal Nanocomposite Films”, Small., 2011,7: 1203.
10. Liu B., Liu L.R. and Liu X.J., “Effects of carbon nanotubes on crystallization in amorphous Ni–P electroplating coating”, Surf. Eng., 2013, 29: 190.
11. Shamsolhodaei A., Rahmani H. and Rastegari S., “Effects of electrodeposition parameters on morphology and properties of Zn–TiO2 composite coating”, Surf. Eng., 2013, 29: 695.
12. Trojanec A., Langmaier J. and Samec Z., “Electrocatalysis of the Oxygen reduction at a polarised interface between two immiscible electrolyte solutions by electrochemically generated Pt particles”, Electrochem. Comm., 2006, 8: 475.
13. Y. D. Yu Y.D., M. M. He M.M., M. G. Li M.G., H. F. Guo H.F., G. Y. Wei G.Y. and H. L. Ge H.L., “Effect of temperatures on electrodeposition of CoWP films”, Surf. Eng., 2013, 29: 200.
14. Yu Y.D., Li M.G., Wei G.Y. and Ge H.L., “Effects of pH values on electroless deposition of CoP films”, Surf. Eng., 2013, 29: 767.
15. Abdulah Mirzaie R. and Eshghi A., “Study of methanol electro-oxidation on Ni and Ni–Pt/carbon paper electrodes for direct methanol fuel cell applications”, Surf. Eng., 2014, 30: 263.
16. Li B. and Chan S.H., “PtFeNi tri-metallic alloy nanoparticles as electrocatalyst for oxygen reduction reaction in proton exchange membrane fuel cells with ultra-low Pt loading”, Int J Hydrogen Energy., 2013, 38: 3338.
17. N. I. Kovtyukhova, P. J. Ollivier, B. R. martin, T. E. Mallouk, S. A. Chizhik, E. V. Buzaneva, A. D. Gorchinskiy, “layer-by-layer assembly of ultrathin composite films from micron-sized graphite oxide sheets and polycations” Chem. Mater., 1999, 11: 771.