Catalyst and Advanced Materials Research Laboratory, Chemical Engineering Department, Faculty of Engineering, University of Kashan, Kashan, Iran
CO2 reforming of methane (CRM) over unpromoted and potassium promoted Ni/Al2O3 catalysts was studied. The catalysts were prepared by impregnation method and characterized by X-ray diffraction (XRD), N2 adsorption (BET), temperature programmed reduction (TPR), temperature programmed oxidation (TPO) and scanning electron microscope (SEM) techniques. The obtained results showed that addition of K2O to the Ni/Al2O3 catalyst increased surface area. Also addition of K2O to this catalyst increased activity and decreased the amount of deposited carbon due to enhance the basic properties of the catalysts and CO2 adsorption and prevent the Boudouard reaction. In addition, effect of Ni and potassium loadings were investigated in Ni/K2O-Al2O3 catalysts. It was observed that by increasing nickel content, the specific surface area decreased, but catalytic activity and coke formation increased. Also, catalytic tests showed that just a moderate amount of K could improve catalytic activity and decrease coke formation of Ni/K2O-Al2O3 catalyst in dry reforming of methane.
1. San José-Alonso D., Illán-Gómez M.J., Román-Martínez M.C., "K and Sr promoted Co alumina supported catalysts for the CO2 reforming of methane", Catal. Today, 2011, 176: 187.
2. Alipour Z., Rezaei M., Meshkani F., "Effect of alkaline earth promoters (MgO, CaO, and BaO) on the activity and coke formation of Ni catalysts supported on nanocrystalline Al2O3 in dry reforming of methane", J. Ind. Eng. Chem., 2014, 20: 2858.
3. Seo H.O., Sim J.K., Kim K.D., Kim Y.D., Lim D.C., Kim S.H., "Carbon dioxide reforming of methane to synthesis gas over a TiO2–Ni inverse catalyst",Appl. Catal. A. Gen., 2013, 451: 43.
4. Newnham J., Mantri K., Amin M.H., Tardio J., Bhargava S.K., "Highly stable and active Ni-mesoporous alumina catalysts for dry reforming of methane", Int. J. Hydrogen Energy, 2012, 37: 1454.
5. Xu L., Song H., Chou L., "Carbon dioxide reforming of methane over ordered mesoporous NiO–MgO–Al2O3 composite oxides", Appl. Cata.l B Environ.,2011, 108-109: 177.
6. Arandiyan H., Li J., Ma L., Hashemnejad S.M., Mirzaei M.Z., Chen J., Chang H., Liu C., Wang C., Chen L., "Methane reforming to syngas over LaNixFe1−xO3 (0≤x≤1) mixed-oxide perovskites in the presence of CO2and O2", J. Ind. Eng. Chem., 2012, 18: 2103.
7. Meshkani F., Rezaei M., "Nickel catalyst supported on magnesium oxide with high surface area and plate-like shape: A highly stable and active catalyst in methane reforming with carbon dioxide", Catal.Commun, 2011,12: 1046.
8. Hadian N., Rezaei M., Mosayebi Z., Meshkani F., "CO2 reforming of methane over nickel catalysts supported on nanocrystalline MgAl2O4 with high surface area", J. Nat. Gas. Chem., 2012, 21: 200.
9. Alipour Z., Rezaei M., Meshkani F., "Effects of support modifiers on the catalytic performance of Ni/Al2O3 catalyst in CO2 reforming of methane", Fuel, 2014, 129: 197.
10. Zanganeh R., Rezaei M., Zamaniyan A., "Dry reforming of methane to synthesis gas on NiO-MgO nanocrystalline solid solution catalysts", Int. J. Hydrogen Energy., 2013,38: 3012.
11. Arandiyan H., Peng Y., Liu C., Chang H., Li J., "Effects of noble metals doped on mesoporous LaAlNi mixed oxide catalyst and identification of carbon deposit for reforming CH4 with CO2", Technol. Biotechnol., 2013,89: 372.
12. Luo J., Yu Z., Ng C., Au C., "CO2/CH4 Reforming over Ni–La2O3/5A: An Investigation on Carbon Deposition and Reaction Steps", J. Catal., 2000,194: 198-210.
13. Wang S., Lu G., "A Comprehensive Study on Carbon Dioxide Reforming of Methane over Ni/γ -Al2O3 Catalysts", Ind. Eng. Chem. Res., 1999,38: 2615.
14. Asencios Y., Assaf E., "Combination of dry reforming and partial oxidation of methane on NiO–MgO–ZrO2 catalyst: Effect of nickel content", Fuel Process. Technol.,2013, 106: 247.
15. Hou Z., Yokota O., Tanaka T., Yashima T., "Characterization of Ca-promoted Ni/α-Al2O3 catalyst for CH4 reforming with CO2", Appl. Catal. A. Gen., 2003, 253: 381.
16. Yu X., Wang N., Chu W., Liu M., "Carbon dioxide reforming of methane for syngas production over La-promoted NiMgAl catalysts derived from hydrotalcites", Chem. Eng. J., 2012, 209: 623.
17. Meshkani F., Rezaei M., "Nanocrystalline MgO supported nickel-based bimetallic catalysts for carbon dioxide reforming of methane", Int. J. Hydrogen Energy, 2010,35: 10295.
18. Juan-Juan J., Román-Martínez M.C., Illán-Gómez M.J., "Effect of potassium content in the activity of K-promoted Ni/Al2O3 catalysts for the dry reforming of methane", Appl. Catal. A. Gen., 2006, 301: 9.
19. Zhu J., Peng X., Yao L., Shen J., Tong D., Hu C., "The promoting effect of La, Mg, Co and Zn on the activity and stability of Ni/SiO2 catalyst for CO2 reforming of methane", Int. J. Hydrogen Energy, 2011, 36: 7094.
20. Leofanti G., Padovan M., Tozzola G., Venturelli B., "Surface area and pore texture of catalysts", Catal. Today, 1998, 41: 207.
21. Sutthiumporn K., Kawi S., "Promotional effect of alkaline earth over Ni-La2O3 catalyst for CO2 reforming of CH4: Role of surface oxygen species on H2 production and carbon suppression", Int. J. Hydrogen Energy, 2011, 36: 14435.
22. Roh H.S., Jun K.W., "Carbon Dioxide Reforming of Methane over Ni Catalysts Supported on Al2O3 Modified with La2O3, MgO, and CaO", Catal. Surv. Asia, 2008,12: 239.
23. García-Diéguez M., Herrera C., Larrubia M.Á., Alemany L.J., "CO2-reforming of natural gas components over a highly stable and selective NiMg/Al2O3 nanocatalyst", Catal. Today, 2012, 197: 50.
24. Wang S., Lu G., "Effects of promoters on catalytic activity and carbon deposition of Ni/γ-Al2O3 catalysts in CO2 reforming of CH4", J. Chem. Technol. Biotechnol., 2000, 75: 589.
25. Ranjbar A., Rezaei M., "Preparation of nickel catalysts supported on CaO.2Al2O3 for methane reforming with carbon dioxide", Int. J. Hydrogen Energy, 2012,37: 6356.