1Faculty of Chemical, Petroleum and Gas Engineering,
Semnan University, Semnan, Iran
2Faculty of Chemical, Petroleum and Gas Engineering, Semnan University, Semnan, Iran
Steam reforming integrated with oxidation of methanol was considered with numerical simulation. The parallel micro-channels with circular cross sections were used. Because when the catalytic deposited inside the rectangular micro-channels, it fills up the edges. Hence, the approximation of a cylindrical channel is appropriate. Effect of this changing in cross section was considered and results show conversion is lower in circular model. Also, effects of operating conditions such as inlet temperature, feed flow rate, inlet composition (as steam/carbon ratio) and geometry parameters such as the distance between two rows and two columns were considered. The results show that with increasing inlet temperature and steam/carbon ratio, methanol conversion increases while with increasing feed flow rate, methanol conversion decreases. Geometry parameters are another consideration and the results show that with increasing t1 (the distance between oxidation and steam reforming micro-channels) methanol conversion decreases and with increasing t1/t2 ratio (t2 is the distance between two oxidation micro-channels or two steam reforming micro-channels), methanol conversion increases firstly and then keep almost constant.
1. Palo D.R., Dagle R.A., Holladay J.D., "Methanol steam reforming for hydrogen production ", Chem. Rev., 2007, 107: 3992.
2. Ranjbar M., Eliassi A., Hassanpoor Z., "Production of Hydrogen from methanol Over Cu/ZnO/Al2O3 Catalysts Prepared by Co-Precipitation Method ", Fuel Cells, Science and Technology congress, Zaragoza, Spain, 2010.
4. Joensen F. and Rostrup-Nielsen J.R., "Conversion of hydrocarbons and alcohols for small scale stationary fuel cell system ", J. Power Sources, 2002, 105: 195.
5. Tadbir M. A., Akbari M.H., "Methanol steam reforming in a planar wash coated micro reactor integrated with a micro-combustor ", Int. J. Hydrogen Energy, 2011, 36: 12822.
6. Tadbir M. A., Akbari M.H., "Integrated methanol reforming and oxidation in wash-coated micro reactors: A three-dimensional simulation ", Int. J. Hydrogen Energy, 2011, 37: 2287.
7. Stefanidis, Georgios D., Vlachos, Dionisios G., "High vs. low temperature reforming for hydrogen production via micro technology ", Che. Eng. Science, 2009, 64: 4856.
8. Arzamendi G., Die´guez P.M., Montes M., Centeno M.A., Odriozola J.A., Gandı´a L.M., "Integration of methanol steam reforming and combustion in a micro channel reactor for H2 production: A CFD simulation study", Catalysis Today, 2009, 143: 25.
9. Ni M., "2D heat and mass transfer modeling of methane steam reforming for hydrogen production in a compact reformer ", Energy Conversion and Management, 2013, 65:155.
10. Zhai X., Ding Sh., Cheng Y., Jin Y., Cheng Y., "CFD simulation with detailed chemistry of steam reforming of methane for hydrogen production in an integrated micro-reactor ", Int. J. Hydrogen Energy, 2010, 35: 5383.
11. Wang F., Zhou J., Wang G., "Transport characteristic study of methane steam reforming coupling methane catalytic combustion for hydrogen production", Int. J. Hydrogen Energy, 2012, 37: 13013.
12. Bruschi Y.M., Lopez E., Schbib N., Pedernera M., Borio D.O., "Theoretical study of the ethanol steam reforming in a parallel channel reactor", Int J Hydrogen Energy 2012; 37: 14887-94.
13. Michael J. Stutz, Dimos Poulikakos, "Effects of microreactor wall heat conduction on the reforming process of methane", Che. Eng. Science, 2005, 60: 698.
14. Aghaie A. R. , Lotfollahi M. N., Eliassi A., "Modeling of Methanol-Steam Reforming Catalytic Reactor to Produce Hydrogen: Determination of Optimum Conditions", The 6th International Chemical Engineering Congress and Exhibition, Kish Island, Iran, 2009.
18. Patel S., Pant K.K., "Kinetic modeling of oxidative steam reforming of methanol over Cu/ZnO/CeO2 /Al2O3 catalyst", Applied Catalysis A: General,2009, 356: 189.
19. Jiang C.J., Trimm D.L. and Wainwright M.S., "Kinetic mechanism for the reaction between methanol and water over a Cu-ZnO-Al2O3 catalyst", Applied Catalysis A: General, 1993, 97: 145.
20. Reitz T.L., Ahmed S., Krumpelt M., Kumar R., Kung H.H., "Characterization of CuO/ZnO under oxidizing conditions for the oxidative methanol reforming reaction", Journal of Molecular Catalysis A: Chemical, 2000, 162: 275.
21. Treybal Robert E., mass transfer operations, McGraw-Hill Book Company, 1980.